- Toor daal : 1 cup
- Drumsticks : 2 no (cut lengthwise)
- Potatoes : 2 (large, cubed)
- Tomato : 2 (medium, chopped)
- pearl onion : Handful (cut into halves)
- shallots -2 (medium, sliced thickly
- Carrot- 2 (medium,cubes)
- Beans-5 or 6(medium,chopped)
- Pumpkin-(large, cubed)
- Cucumber-(medium, chopped)
- Green Chilly : 2-3 (slit,lengthwise)
- Tamarind : Gooseberry sized (soaked in half a cup of hot water for 10 mins)
- Grated Coconut : 1 cup
- Coriander seed : 2tsp
- Dry Red chilli : 4 or 5 nos
- Fenugreek :1 tsp
- Asafoetida powder : 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Curry leaves : 1 sprig
- Oil :2tbsp (preferably coconut oil)
- Salt –to taste
- Water for cooking
- First we take a heavy bottom mud pot,add toor daal with water, cook on a medium flame for
12 to 13 minutes till the dal becomes mushy and soft.
- Then we mash the dal well with a spoon , Cover and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add dry red chilli and coriander seed saute well for some minutes
- Add fenugreek seed and grated coconut , Stirring well roast the coconut till it becomes
golden, remove the pan from fire ,and keepaside.
- Once the roasted coconut masala become warm.
- Grind this to a fine paste adding enough water, don’t make it too thick or watery.
- soak tamarind in a water. Cover and keep aside for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Later squeeze the pulp from the tamarind with your fingers and add in the bowl. Keep the
tamarind pulp aside.
- Take a heavy mud pot ,add vegetables like carrot, beans, potato, pumpkin, tomato, cucumber
,green chilli, drum stick etc…
- Again we add water, curry leaves and salt mix well and cover and cook for couple of mins ..
- Now we add asafoetida powder, and tamarind water mix well and cook for some minutes.
- Again we add cooked dal and roasted grinded coconut masala in to the pan mix and cook
- Remove from fire and keep a side.
- Again we heat oil in a pan add mustard seed, Once the mustard seeds crackle,
- Add dry red chilli ,pearl onion and curry leaves
- Stir and fry till the red chilies change their colour.
- Then we pour the tempering ingredients in the sambar.
- Cover and keep aside for some minutes , Then stir and serve
- Kerala sadhya special sambar with meals
- Enjoy the taste of sambar….