- Onion – 2 nos
- Green chilli – 4 or 5
- Cucumber – 1
- Ash gourd – 1
- Yam – ½ piece
- White yam -1 or 2 nos
- Snake gourd – 1 nos
- Tapioca – 2 nos
- Raw banana – 2 nos
- Colocasia – 1 or 2 nos
- Cow peas -1/2 kg
- Curry leaves – 4 or 5 nos
- Bengal gram – -1 cup
- Red chillipowder – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Garlic – 6 or 7 nos
- Cumin seed – 1 tsp
- Shallots 10 or 12 nos
- Dry red chilli – 4 or 5 nos
- Mustard seed – 1 tsp
- Rice – 1kg
- Salt –to taste
- Oil -for cooking
- Water – for cooking
- First we wash and clean Bengal gram and cow peas separately and keep a separate
- Then we take a heavy bottom pan and add water and Bengal gram cook well and drain
excess water and keep a side.
- Then we wash and cleaned the rice and keep a side.
- Then we take heavy bottom pan and pour water and rice ,boil the rice ,and keep a
- Again we take a heavy bottom pan add water ,cow peas and salt ,cook well and drain
- Now we take a large bowl and add the chopped vegetables ,red chilli powder ,
turmeric powder, onion, shallots, green chilli ,some oil , mix well cover and cook in
- Then we grind dry red chilli ,grated coconut,garlic ,cumin seed and shallots into fine
- Now we add boiled cow peas ,grinded coconut and salt to the pan of vegetables we
are cooking and mix well,keep a side.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seed , dry red chilli, chopped onion,grated coconut and
curry leaves mix and saute well until the grated coconut turns light brown.
- Then pour over the curry. Close the pan with a lid, so that the flavor does not get out.
- Mix well and turn off the flame
- Serve hot astram with rice porridge