- Rice flour : 1 cup
- Grated coconut : 1½ cup
- Thick jaggery syrup : ½ cup
- Cardamom powder : 1 tsp
- Ghee : 1 tsp
- Water : 1 cup
- Salt : A pinch
- Preferably sieve the flour to remove the larger sized lumps.
- Add salt, ghee to water and boil it.
- Pour this water into the rice powder and knead well to make smooth dough, without lumps.
- Make big lemon sized balls out of this dough.
- Heat a thick bottomed sauce pan, add a spoon of oil / ghee and mix the grated coconut and cardamom powder.
- Roast it for some time and pour in the jaggery syrup.
- Keep it over the flame till the moisture dries up with constant stirring.
- Switch off the flame and transfer it to a bowl (optional)
- Spread a little oil on your palm and take a ball of dough and flatten in slightly (make it into 3-5mm thick and 6-8cm diameter rolls).
- Put a spoonful of the mixture (#7) in this and secure all the sides and roll lightly.
- Prepare the entire balls using the rest of the dough.
- Steam the kozhukkattas (in an idiyappam / idly maker) till done and serve them warm.
Leave a Reply