- Oil-10 to 12 tsp
- Shallot- ½ kg
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Fenugreek seed-1tsp
- Coriander popwder-2tbsp
- Chilli powder-2 tbsp
- Tamarind –small pinch
- Dry red chilli-4 or 5 in nos
- Dal -½ cup
- Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
- Turmeric poiwdert-1/2 tsp
- Salt –to taste
- Take a pan and add little amount of oil ,then we add grated coconut, shallot ,curry leaves
and fenugreek seed, roast until they turn golden brown.
- Then we add coriander powder and red chilli powder mix them well with coconut mixture
- Again we grinded the coconut mixture into smooth paste and keep it in aside.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract the tamarind juice and keep it aside
- In a pan, pour the oil and fry the fenugreek seed ,dry red chilli,curry leaves ,asafoetida and
shallot ,saute for some minutes
- Then we wash the dal into water and rinse well
- Then we add the dal into the pan and mix them well with shallots and other ingredients,
pour some hot water into the pan and cook well.
- Add small amount of turmeric powder into the pan and mix them well
- Again we add the coconut grinded past , soak tamarind water and salt into the pan and mix
- Cook some minutes and switch off the flame
- finally, enjoy onion sambar with hot steamed rice.